Monday, January 21, 2013

VEGGIES ON THE STOVE

The other night I had what seemed to be extra veggies in my fridge that would not be eaten individually before going bad.  And as I am the only one in our household who gladly eats cooked veggies, I knew I had to something with all of them and do it soon.  So I rounded them up and got some out of the freezer too and decided to sauté them.  **Please note – I did not measure anything.  I just kind of threw it all together.
                            
 I started with a medium sauté pan and put in some olive oil, sesame oil and soy sauce.  I put in just enough of the liquids to barely cover the pan.  In the back, those are frozen brussel sprouts boiling until they are just turning tender.  I did not have any fresh ones on hand otherwise this part would be unnecessary. 

As the oils were getting hot and after the sprouts tenderized, I set to work to getting the other veggies together to dish them up for their Olan Mills style picture.

Here I have frozen corn, frozen green beans, fresh white mushrooms, the tender brussel sprouts and raw cauliflower.  **The reason I boiled the brussel sprouts and not the other frozen foods is because of their density and thickness.  (After the boiling bath, I did cut the sprouts in half.)  The beans and corn I knew would be cook just fine as they were.**

Here are the veggies sautéing  
           
I put the cauliflower, brussel sprouts and green beans in first, followed by the corn and mushrooms about 5 minutes later.  Let all of that sauté for about 3-4 minutes and then added in dashes of garlic salt and nature’s own seasoning.

I must say I found this dish to be really tasty.  Obviously, if you wanted to try this, different veggies could be put in to suit your own personal taste.  Other veggies such as carrots, broccoli, celery, asparagus etc.  Spinach would be good too – cooked till barely wilted.  I wonder how pineapple chunks would work in something like this???  Hmmm that will be something to try the next go round.  Anyway if you decide to give this a whirl, I hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment